Wednesday 16 April 2014

I'm So Excited, I Don't Even Know How to Title This Post

Well, I broke my cardinal rule.

 I delivered a baby. I DELIVERED A BABY!!!! And it was amazing. It was so amazing that my friend and I did a happy dance and clapped our hands when we were talking about it the following day. 

The mama in question had had a very straight forward labor and the baby's head was just beginning to appear when the midwife turned to me and said, "You deliver this one!"

To which I replied, "No! What if I screw something up!"

To which she says, "Nah, I'll be here with you!"

As I was already wearing gloves and in possession of all my teeth, it only seemed natural that I should step up to the task.

It was amazing but maybe I said that already. I just did what I had observed the midwives doing with nearly every delivery. While instructing the mama how to breath and when to push, I gently supported her tissues around the baby's head. When the head was delivered, I slipped the cord from around its neck and over its head. I told mama to push one more time and when her daughter was born, I put her up onto her chest. I even got to cut the cord.

I DELIVERED A BABY!!!

I realize that I participated in possibly the easiest delivery on the planet earth, but folks, I participated!

I'm still doing that happy dance (on the inside where it's more socially acceptable...).

I hope this delivery was the first of many for my records. 

*smiling ear to ear*

No comments:

Post a Comment