Thursday 3 September 2015

Surprise!

Such a sweet surprise awaited me at the market today! There I was, crouched over, buying avocados and zucchini from a tarp on the ground when I glanced up right into the eyes of a mama that I had worked with over two months ago! She and I were a dynamic duo of labour calisthenics. We moved and grooved and marched and danced until her sweet boy arrived. 

I gasped and practically shouted my greeting. I think I embarrassed her a little as every eye turned to look. It's not culturally appropriate to step over produce at the market, or I would have jumped the distance and pulled that woman in for a hug! It's probably for the best though because in my joy, I would have crushed the fat infant she had on her lap. 

Friends, this child must want for nothing because he was a chunk, full of rolls and dimples and all things deliciously baby. I asked if I could hold him and she lifted him by one arm and passed him over the carrots. I put him on my hip and just looked at him. I looked and I looked and I looked. I stroked his curly black hair and kissed his head. He was bright-eyed and stared at my face, unsure what to make of everything. I crouched down and held him in my lap and talked to him until he smiled and cooed in response. Oh my heart. Meanwhile, my market basket, bag, and coin purse were strewn about in front of his mama's veggie display. Other ladies were stepping around them to shop. 

After some minutes, I reluctantly passed him back. As I resumed shopping, I shared a little chuckle with the other women sitting with their fruits and veggies.

"I'd like two zucchini. Oh and, I'll take that baby too!"

No comments:

Post a Comment