Sunday 3 November 2013

The Miracle of Life!

I'd like to start with a shout out for the abdominal lift-pelvic tuck! A mama I worked with wasn't progressing very well and was getting really frustrated and vocal. The out-of-control kind of vocal. She was up and down off the bed which was wonderful so the next time she stood, I explained what I wanted her to do and tried to show her. She was so miserable and my explanation wasn't helping her understand. She also wasn't too keen on me pausing in the back rubbing to explain anything so the next time she contracted, I stood beside her, lifted her belly with my right arm and rubbed her back with my left. Because of my lifting, she naturally tilted her pelvis forward. It was great! We did this through two contractions. I can't imagine how awkward we looked. The pictures in books and online, show this gentle, supportive maneuver that generally doesn't involve any struggle or grunting from the doula. Oh well. I'm pretty convinced the abdominal lift is what kicked this mama's labor forward. She delivered an hour and a half later. Woop woop! 

I have never cried at a birth...until now. I've been wide-eyed or worried and of course, ALWAYS happy when each mama delivers and it truly is beautiful. Those who mock (generally guys) and mimic in a silly high voice about birth being "the miracle of life" have clearly missed something in their experiences with it, or have just missed out all together. It IS a miracle!

The other day, I was vigorously rubbing a mama's back and providing lots of counter-pressure. I was also giving LOTS of hip squeezes per her request. I'm telling you all of this to point out that I was pooped. My arms and back were protesting, along with my bladder. With promises to come back as fast as I could, I dashed away to the bathroom.

When I returned, I found her husband had sneaked in through the curtain on the side of the bed where he wouldn't be observed by any nurses or midwives and he was rubbing her back!! I gave him two thumbs up and promised not to give him away! 

Some minutes later, mama called for me. Maybe all those years of farm labor (don't laugh mom) have paid off because she wanted my firm massage. Her husband whispered very sweetly, "Good luck!" and sneaked back the way he came.

Some minutes after that, mama wanted to stand but was feeling dizzy so she put both arms around my neck, laid her head on my chest and hung with me supporting her. It is such a privilege to have a mama put her trust in me to hold her so closely during a time that she will never forget, like the birth of her child. Which is why it was so beautiful when she asked me to get her husband to come hold her in the same way. Again, I told no one and he held his wife while she moved into transition.

When it came time for her to push, he was kicked out and I took to her side again. When their daughter was born and bellowed out that lusty cry of a healthy baby, I peeked through the curtain and there was that great big man, sitting on a bench a few yards away, just crying like a fool. 

Mama let me carry their daughter out for him to see. I laid her in his arms and he just stared and sniffed and wiped the tears away and in a low voice whispered, "We were praying for a girl."

This is when I walked away and started crying. It was absolutely beautiful. I haven't seen anything quite like that here. The culture dictates that women who come to the haus sik labor almost alone and most husbands don't seem to take a tender interest in their wives. This was the exception and I was so pleased to step aside and let the husband comfort the wife. It was as it should be. 

Later on I headed over to check on mama and new baby and got more of their story. This was their first child. Due to medical issues, they weren't sure she would be able to carry to term. When they found out she was pregnant, they began praying for a girl (also counter-cultural) and so when she delivered a healthy baby and a girl nonetheless, they were over the moon. 

The couple insisted I take their phone number (oh alright, twist my arm) and I am excited to call them for a visit soon! Oh I love this work.    

   

No comments:

Post a Comment